Manage Files and Folders
Manage your files using the File Manager interface.
Working with files and folders
The File Manager interface allows you to perform actions on your files and folders.
Create or copy files or folders
To create a new file or folder, perform the following steps:
- Click File or Folder in the toolbar. A new interface appears.
- Enter a name for the new item in the New File Name: or New Folder Name: text box.
- Enter the location for the item in the New file will be created in: or New folder will be created in: text box.
- Click Create New File or Create New Folder.
To copy one or more files, perform the following steps:
- Select the files you want to copy. You cannot create a copy of an item within the same folder.
- Click Copy in the toolbar, or right-click and select Copy from the menu. The Copy interface will appear.
- In the Copy interface, enter the file path for the item in the Enter the file path that you want to copy this file to: text box.
- Click Copy File(s).
To copy a folder that contains files, perform the following steps:
- Select the folder that you want to copy.
- Use your preferred file compression application to compress the folder.
- Click Upload in the toolbar and upload the compressed file by either dragging and dropping it or using the Select File button.
- Once your folder appears in the File Manager interface, select it and click Extract in the toolbar in the top of the interface. This will extract your folder.
Move files or folders
To move one or more files, perform the following steps:
- Select the file or files that you want to move.
- Click Move in the toolbar at the top of the interface. The Move interface will appear.
- Enter a file path in the Enter the file path that you want to move this file to: text box.
- Click Move File(s) to move the file.
You can also move files by performing the following actions:
- Dragging a file icon into a new destination folder.
- Clicking on a file and then clicking Rename in the toolbar.
Update file or folder permissions
To modify a file or folder’s permissions, perform the following steps:
- Select the file or folder.
- Click Permissions in the toolbar. The Change Permissions interface will appear.
- Use the checkboxes or text boxes to change the item’s permissions. This setting defaults to
- Click Change Permissions to save your changes.
Delete or restore files and folders
When you delete files or folders, the system does not permanently delete them. Instead, the system moves the files to the Trash folder. To permanently delete the Trash folder’s contents, click Empty Trash.
To delete a file or folder, perform the following steps:
- Select the file or folder you want to delete.
- Click Delete in the toolbar. The Trash interface will appear.
- Click Confirm to confirm that you want to delete the file or folder.
To restore a file or folder, perform the following steps:
- Click View Trash in the toolbar.
- Select the file or folder that you want to restore.
- Click Restore in the toolbar.
- Confirm that you want to restore the item.
Right-click files or folders to select from a menu of actions that the system customizes based on the file’s type.
|Upload individual items, such as files or images. You cannot upload a folder through this interface. Create a new folder and upload the desired files into it.
|Download files to save them locally.
|Files, Compressed Files, Folders
|Rename the file or folder.
|Open the selected file in an editor. You cannot edit a file in this interface if it is larger than one megabyte (1 MB) in size. To edit a file larger than 1MB, you must download it and use a local editor.
|View the contents of the selected file.
|Extract the selected
*.bz2 archive and store the files in a folder.
|Files, Compressed Files, Folders
|Compress the selected files or folders to a single
*.Bz2 archive and store the compressed file to a specified folder.